Monday, October 22, 2007

Bad Weekend, 3rd Doctor Visit and Frustration!

Austin has been sick for over 2 weeks now. He started to get better, then he got really sick. Friday he was very congested and coughing a lot more. I was worried, but trying to think positive. That night was miserable. Austin's temp spiked up to 101.6 and he was screaming and very congested. He couldn't sleep well because he was so congested. It was a bad night. I almost rushed him to the ER at 4am, but Jason and my mom talked me out of it. We used Tylenol and gave him a cool bath to break the fever. It worked for a little while, then we had to do it again. He was just miserable and I was too. Finally he went to sleep. When he woke up he was the same, but we decided to page his Doctor before we rush to the expensive ER. She said she was concerned because he has been sick for over 2 weeks. She decided to switch him to a more aggressive med and for us to watch him on that. He was doing ok on it, and I think he is getting better, but I just don't know. Last night I thought he was better, but he was coughing so hard he spit up some flem and it made him gag, so he projectile vomited all over me! I feel so bad for him and just want him to get better.

We had to miss Gavin's 4th Birthday Party because Austin was so sick. We really wanted to go :(

With all of this madness I decided to call the Doctors Office on Monday Morning to see if he would need to be seen. The nurse told me it was a good idea to get him in to see the Doc to make sure there is no more ear infection. I ended up taking him in that afternoon. I was annoyed because the Nurse told me he didn't look sick and seemed to be fine. She is the one who said to bring him in! Then she looked at his head and asked if he bumped it. Come on lady! You see him all the time and you should know it's his Cavernous Hemangioma. She realized when I just looked at her and she corrected herself. Anyway, he was weighed and gained a lot. He is up to 18 pounds now. I wish I could tell you the exact weight, but I was so frustrated I just don't remember. His temp was normal, and we were very happy about that. He seems to spike more at night anyway. So, I waited for a while then finally the doc came in. This is the Doctor I don't care for. The one I like only works 2 days a week. She came in and just looked frustrated. She asked what Austin was in for and I explained. She was rushing and writing like crazy. She checked his lungs, and they were good. She laid him on the table and checked ears and the infection is no longer there. I was very happy about that. She said he was good and there was nothing more they can do for him. I was fine with that, I don't like to pump my son full of unnecessary meds.

This is the part of the visit I hate. She says he is fine, then turns to the door. I have to ask her to come back so I can ask her the questions I have. She looks very annoyed when I do that, but come on! If I don't know I am going to ask! She gets paid to do this. I asked her if he needs a flu shot and she said yes. Then walked out the door. Come on! I still needed to know the risks/benefits and just about the shot in general. She was gone and I was just out of luck. I got Austin dressed and had to leave. I realized I forgot to ask about the meds he is on now. He is a bad side affect and I had to catch a Nurse and talk to her about it. I think I will have to find a new doctor or figure something out here. This just does not work.

I was in a very bad mood walking out of the Doctor Office. I was walking to the car, and this old man looked at me in a weird way. I just ignored it and kept walking. He then said, " You sure are bouncing that poor little baby's head all over the place." I just looked at him and said, "Thanks! He is fine!!" Not to mention he got a very dirty look! If you know me, I don't act like this to anyone. I'm sorry, but Austin is very heavy, and he is just more heavy in the carrier. I am his mother, I will not hurt him!

So anyway, I am just frustrated and hope that Austin feels better soon. He seems to be doing better today. I am just trying to focus on VACATION! In case you didn't notice from this post, I think I need it!

No comments: