Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Whole New World

Texas is so different from Michigan. It is going to be a huge adjustment for me and my Family. We are in a small town near Dallas. Just some differences I have noticed so far are..

The people here are VERY friendly and polite all the time

I love to listen to the southern accents. I wonder if Austin and Kayla will talk with the accent?

The dirt is freakishly orange

It is warm in February, very warm!

The Sonics are like McDonalds at home. They are everywhere, but we only have 2 in the whole state of Michigan. Oh and they have Volleyball courts. Haven't seen anyone use them, but it's neat

The bugs I have seen so far are huge

Most radio stations are Country Music

People seem to be very religious

It gets very dark out here. At night the speed limits are 5 mph less than when its daytime.

People with big fancy houses have lights in the tops of the trees. I don't get it.

There are many more jobs down here, which I guess is why we came here in the first place.

When Jason ordered a burger the guy asked him if he wanted it "all the way." We had no idea what he was talking about. I guess it means "Do you want everything on it?" We had to ask him to specify what it meant. Right away he knew we were not from the South.

Everything down here is Coke, not pop. If you say pop I don't think they know what you are talking about.

People are very proud of the State of Texas. The State Flag is everywhere. I even had some waffles in the shape of Texas!



Thats all I can think of for now. I am sure I will think of more as time goes on. I am still in major culture shock. It couldn't be more different from my hometown. I don't get out too much because Kayla is so young. That will change as she gets older. I do enjoy being home with my kids. They sure do fill the days and keep me busy. Here are a couple pics of them since we moved to Texas.










1 comment:

Just me, De said...

Oh Dawn, I can't believe how much they both have changed!! Austin looks like a young boy, not a baby anymore and Kayla! What a pretty girl she is. By the time you get back here for a visit, she'll be crawling!! Kiss them both and tell Austin (so Kayla can't hear) that I miss him bunches...love to you all
Gramma De xoxoxoxox