Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Birth

Well, I have to post Kayla's Birth story. I have been so busy with adjusting to this new life. Now 2 weeks later, here it goes.

Jason left for Texas on Friday morning. We didn't think I was going to go into labor because everything was steady for a while. We thought it would be safe to go for 2 days. Well, we were wrong. Saturday night I felt some leaking and thought it would be best to get it checked out in Triage. It was midnight and my mom and good friend Jenn took me up there. I got checked out and I didn't leak any fluids. The baby was being monitored and she was very sleepy so they had me stay for a while to make sure everything was ok. We stayed there until 4am I believe. Jason's Dad and his friend Cheryl stayed at our house and slept on the couch because of Austin. We got back about 4:30-ish and they went home. I brushed my teeth and got in my jammies and crawled into bed. I was so tired. I felt a gush of water and knew my water had just broke. I was really frustrated because the last thing I wanted to do was have that baby without Jason there and with no sleep. I wasn't sure if it was the real thing or not so I walked around to see if I was going to gush anymore. Well I gushed every couple of minutes and it was everywhere. We had to call Jason's Dad back over. He had just crawled into bed too! I started to panic and feel contractions every couple minutes and they hurt bad. We waited for Jason's Dad and I kissed Austin then my Mom and I booked it to the Hospital. She was going very fast and I was screaming with every contraction. I had the urge to push, so it didn't look good.

When we got to Triage I was in the worst pain I have ever felt. They got me all checked out and I was dilated to 6. I couldn't believe that was all. Jason was calling me from the airport in Dallas and he was so upset. He was due back that day, but the flight was about 3 hours or so. He was getting ready to board the plane which meant we would not be able to communicate. I got into L&D and it all happened so fast. I got my epidural right away and I was very comfortable for a bit. I had some visitors, My Dad, Diane, Chad, Jenn, Mom, and my friend Mindy all visited. I was exhausted so I decided to try and get some sleep. That didn't work out because my doc came in and decided to give me meds to speed up the delivery. I wasn't too happy about that, but the baby was having a hard time with each contraction so I didn't complain. I just hoped I could hold out for Jason.

The contractions got very intense again and I had to push. I could feel the pressure and just wanted the baby out. The Doctors came in and the ceiling transformed into mirrors and bright lights. My mom and best friend Jenn stayed in the room with me. They did an amazing job helping me and I am so glad they were both there with me. I started to push and right away felt so weak. I thought I couldn't do it. it was a very scary feeling. It didn't help I had residents delivering me and the Doctor on call was a real jerk. My Doctor wasn't available. I was so disappointed about that. She was so nice and she was the Doctor who delivered Autumn, This Doctor was just shooting orders at the residents and yelling at them that they weren't doing it right.

I just kept pushing and felt bad pain and anxiety. The doctor got mad at me because I would have rather torn than get cut. I didn't tear at all with Austin, so I thought it would work out the same way. I was wrong there too, but I will explain later. I had a final push and next thing I knew everyone was screaming and the nurse was pushing on my stomach really hard. I didn't know what was going on. The baby's shoulder got stuck and she wasn't coming out. I was confused but all I could do was push my hardest to get her out. Next thing I know she was born. She was very white in color and I didn't hear a cry. She was taken over to be examined and no one could go over there yet. They worked on her for a minute then I heard a cry. My mom and Jenn went to be with her. They were very happy and excited, so I knew she would be ok. The residents were working on me and I was feeling very uncomfortable. They looked very concerned and I had no clue what was going on. I asked and they didn't respond. The Doctor then told me that I had a 4th degree tear and I had to go to the operating room so he could repair it. Then I found out Kayla was 9lb 5oz. Well of course I Was going to tear from having such a big baby! I got to see her for a minute then I Was taken to the OR and Kayla was taken to the nursery.

When I Was out of the OR I went back to my room. I was told I couldn't see Kayla yet because she had low blood sugar. Everything from there was a blur. Jason came in not long after. His mom picked him up from the airport. He went to see Kayla in the nursery and Austin did too. Austin kept calling her sissy. Austin came to vosot me after that. Gramps and Cheryl brought him up. It was such an amazing feeling to see him after having another child. I can't explain it, but I was very happy. He always makes everything better. After that Kayla was brought in and I was complete. She was Healthy and everything I had hoped for came true. We were then a Family of 4 plus one in Heaven. I can't forget Autumn.

So it was not the best experience, but I got through it. We were upset Jason missed it, but it's ok. Everything worked out and Kayla and I were both healthy.Thank you so much to my Mom and Jenn. You both were amazing support in there with me. It meant more to me than you will ever know. I love you guys. Mom, you did it again! You helped me so much with this Pregnancy. What would I do without you??

Oh, I almost forgot to add how Jason found out Kayla was born. We know someone who works for Northwest, Tracy. He is Jason's Mom's boyfriend. He contacted someone who contacted the control tower. They took the information about Kayla's Birth and announced it on Jason's flight. Well the Flight attendant took a note to Jason first and congratulated him, then the Pilot announced it. Everyone on the plane cheered and clapped. He was in shock and very proud, but bummed he missed it. We will always have a story to tell Kayla when she gets older about her birthday.

Here is the first time I saw little Kayla.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I had to read your story all over again. Its such a crazy story! I'm glad you got through it in the end alright! How heavy was Austin? How are you healing?
I can't wait to see more pictures of KAyla when you have them!

bridgetsmommy07 said...

Dawn, I'm just so glad that I was able to be there for you. It truely was amazing. I would not have missed it for the world. You were such a trooper through it all and you did so good!! Baby Kayla wanted her appearance to be something we could all remember and she did a good job at it!!