Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Story of Us

It's hard to believe, but Jason and I have been a couple for 9 years! I remember when I met him. We were both 17 years old. He was a shy, easy going, sweet guy and I was a outgoing, bad girl going in the wrong direction. I wasn't horrible, but I was not as "good" as Jason, lol. I had my nose pierced, and hung in the wrong crowd. Jason was busy with school, Hockey, working and family. Me with friends, friends and more friends. I guess my priorities were in the wrong place.

I remember the first time I saw Jason. I had just moved from my home town of Gibraltar to Trenton. We lived across the street from each other. I was looking out my new bedroom window and I saw a guy pull up across the street in a convertible. I couldn't see his face, but I saw that he was a lifeguard fron the shirt he was wearing. I wanted to go over and say hello, but I didn't know what to say. This went on for months, we would both see one another outside, but would never talk to each other. I think he was scared of girls.

I had a good friend who lived in Trenton, Monica. I asked her if she knew anyone with a convertible and she said yes, Jason Rockett. I couldn't believe it. Not that I knew him, but I knew of him since Monica and I were little girls. She was my very best friend when we were little and Jason was her boyfriend for years. It was so innocent and they never talked to each other outside of school. They never held hands, and they were scared to talk to each other. I think that is how it should be in Elementary school though!! I would go stay over Monica's house and she would not shut up about Jason. I never met him, but sure felt like I knew him.

After a whole Summer of seeing Jason and us never talking, I decided to finally go for it. I looked up his number in the phone book and called him. I was nervous, but I just did it. You have to remember I was the outgoing one then. I called him and said I was the girl who lived across the street with the red car. He was so scared and didn't know what to say. I let him go because he had stuff to get done and I gave him my number and said he could come by anytime. I think it took him a while, but he finally called and we met. I couldn't get over how shy he was.

After a few months of getting to know each other, we officially were a couple on January 4, 1999.

The relationship was a very tough one, but we loved each other so much nothing has gotten between us. His Mother never approved and didn't want us to be together. I think she did all she could to keep us apart, but it didn't work. After we graduated he headed off to Michigan Tech. That was tough, he was over 500 miles away from me most of the time. Even when he was home, we had to deal with his mom again. I went up to visit him when I could, wit out his mom knowing. I miss going up there to visit him. We had some of the funnest times then. We did actually break up for about a month in 2002. It was hard with him away and I think he needed his space. We both dated other people, but it didn't work out. Didn't last long, we missed each other so much. When he came home for Spring Break we were back together again.

I remember the last time I went to visit him at school. It was for the Winter Carnival in 2003. A short time after I came home I found out I was pregnant. This kind of ruined everything for Jason. He doesn't think so, butI know it did. He had to come home from school that summer and tell his mom. She didn't react too well. We were living together by the end of summer and were preparing for our daughter. Jason was going to go to school local and we were both working. About a week after we moved in together I had our Daughter, Autumn on August 16, 2003 and she was premature. She passed away on August 31, 2003. This was by far the toughest time for Jason and I. We stayed tighter and worked through the pain and were Married on August 7, 2004.

We have both changed so much from when we first met. Now I am the shy one and Jason is the outgoing one. Funny how things work out. He helped me a lot and guided me in the right direction.

We have been through a lot of good too! I loved to watch him play Hockey in High School, and we went to all of the school dances together. Broomball at Michigan was fun! The freezing cold in the Upper Peninsula and several feet of snow - I will never forget that. We had fun times with Chad in the summers. I loved spending time with Jason when we could.

We will stay strong Always and Forever.

Love you Jason!!

4 comments:

Peggy said...

What a nice post! I felt like I was reading a book (like a romance novel) probably a book I would pick out:) Instead of reading a true story about one of my blog buddies! Michigan Tech is in the UP? I lived just outside of Marquette Mi when I was a young girl. I was there from 7th grade to the 9th grade. LOTS of snow!

Jill said...

That is such a nice story. You really went through some tough times. My Jason and I did too (and probably will) but it made us stronger together. You and I must be similar ages - 11/10/80 for me. since I met Jason when I was 17 and we have been together for 9.5 years - married for 6.5.

Anonymous said...

Very amusing piece

Anonymous said...

The ideal answer