Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thankful for Them...


This is Dr. Mehta, she was my High-Risk OB/GYN. I know it has only been 8 months since Austin was born, but it brought back a lot of memories. I really wanted to post it so Austin can see her, she was amazing and did so much for us.

I rememebr the first day we went to see her in August of 2006, I don't even think I was one month pregnant yet. It was her first day working there! We were her very first patients at her practice. Yes, I was terrified of that, until we went into her office and she explained some options for me and went over my previous pregnancy. She decided to monitor the pregnancy every week or so for changes in the cervix, and to join a research study for the cervix (to help others and to help research for preterm labor) and to receive progesterone shots once a week. The shots were not proven to help, but a lot of good research has been done. That was the scary part, Dr. Mehta didn't have any way to be sure Austin would stay full-term or survive. She was very confindent in her decisions, and that is what we did. I am glad, because it worked.

It was a very bumpy road, and we got to know each other well due to the fact she saw me once a week and I was in the Hospital many times with complications. There were many times she was tough on me because I was worrying too much. She would not put up with it and we didn't get along too well at times.

A huge reason Austin is here and healthy is because of Dr. Mehta and the care she gave us. She showed me that I can have healthy full-term Children and helped me overcome many fears. I was scared to be pregnant again and try for another child, but now I have Austin! I know this is her job, but we are very greatful for her. She is great at what she does and enjoys helping people. She will deliver the next baby as well (there I go again talking about the next baby.) I look forward to going back and seeing her in a couple years.

Shobha H. Mehta, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University

Dr. Mehta has a special interest in neonatal birth injury and factors contributing to high-risk pregnancy. She completed a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship at Hutzel Women’s Hospital and Wayne State University and is a member of the University Health Center Ob/Gyn Advisory Board. She has delivered dozens of lectures and published numerous peer-reviewed articles, book chapters and abstracts on obstetric and gynecological topics. Dr. Mehta is the principle investigator at Wayne State University in research involving pre-term premature membrane ruptures, and is the recipient of a research support grant from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. She currently serves as Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Wayne State University School of Medicine and Hutzel Women’s Hospital.

Specialties
Maternal Fetal Medicine
High-Risk Obstetrics


We also saw a team of Doctors that included Dr. Mehta. She was our main Doctor and the one I saw the most. I saw many others for procedures, research, and other reasons. A few of them stood out to us and we also got to know well. They were excited every time they saw me and I was still pregnant and hitting goals. I have to include them as well.


This is Dr. Mittal. We saw here every 2 weeks in the Research Clinic. She was the sweetest Doctor and very funny. I met her last year on my first time in the Hospital for Pre-Term Labor. She did my amnio and she helped to keep me calm. She understood how scared I was and was so understanding. She was the happiest for me when I saw her every other week and loved to do the ultrasounds on Austin. She would talk to him and make funny comments. She used to say Austin was flirting with her during the ultrasounds. If she had extra time, she would do extra measurments and things for more research. I looked forward to our visits and we got to know one another well.



This is Dr. Bahado-Singh. He saw me many times in his office, and the hospital. He was actually the Doctor who first caught that my cervix was getting shorter and put me in the hospital. I saw him a lot, from the morning sickness treatment (didn't work) to the many times he released me from the hospital. I even called him once at 4am for an emergency. He was very helpful and understnading.





I saw these two. Dr. Mari and Dr. Sorokin a few times. They were the, "Big Bosses" in the Hospital. It was reassuring to see such highly respected and educated Doctors. I knew Austin had the best chance with them caring for us. They were amazing.

I am Thankful to have seen all of these Doctors. I will forever remember them and I want Austin to know they all played a big part in his care and birth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Nisha...and Shobha is my sister! It was great to read about how she has made a difference in your life! We just had a small get-together and showed your blog to all of our family friends...they were so excited to read all about Shobha helping your family!